A witness that is spiritual of truthfulness permitted Joseph Smith as well as other Latter-day Saints to simply accept this concept. Hard because it had been, the development of plural wedding in Nauvoo did certainly “raise up seed” unto Jesus. A considerable wide range of today’s users descend through faithful Latter-day Saints who practiced marriage that is plural.
Church people not any longer exercise marriage that is plural. 54 in line with Joseph Smith’s teachings,
The Church allows a man whoever spouse has died become sealed to a different girl as he remarries. Furthermore, users are allowed to execute ordinances on the part of dead women and men whom married over and over again in the world, sealing them to any or all regarding the spouses to who these were lawfully married. The particular nature of those relationships within the next life is as yet not known, and several household relationships is supposed to be sorted away when you look at the life in the future. Latter-day Saints ought to rely upon our wise Heavenly Father, whom really really really loves their young ones and does everything because of their growth and salvation. 55
- See “The Family: A Proclamation towards the World”; Jacob 2:27, 30.
- Doctrine and Covenants 132:34–39; Jacob 2:30; see also Genesis 16.
- 1 Corinthians 13:12; Jeffrey R. Holland, “Lord, I Really Believe, ” Ensign, Might 2013.
- See Andrew Jenson, “Plural Marriage, ” Historical Record 6 (might 1887): 232–33; “Report of Elders Orson Pratt and Joseph F. Smith, ” https://www.camsloveaholics.com/female/milf Millennial celebrity 40 (Dec. 16, 1878): 788; Danel W. Bachman, “New Light on a vintage Hypothesis: The Ohio Origins associated with Revelation on Eternal Marriage, ” Journal of Mormon History 5 (1978): 19–32.
- See Doctrine and Covenants 132:1, 34–38.
- Doctrine and Covenants 112:30; 124:41; 128:18.
- “Polygamy, ” in The Oxford Dictionary of World Religions, ed. John Bowker (ny: Oxford University Press, 1997), 757; John Cairncross, After Polygamy ended up being produced Sin: The Social History of Christian Polygamy (London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1974).
- Lorenzo Snow, deposition, usa Testimony 1892 (Temple Lot Case), component 3, p. 124, Church History Library, Salt Lake City; Orson Pratt, in Journal of Discourses, 13:193; Ezra Booth to Ira Eddy, Dec. 6, 1831, in Ohio Star, Dec. 8, 1831.
- See Brian C. Hales, “Encouraging Joseph Smith to Practice Plural Marriage: The reports associated with Angel by having a Drawn Sword, ” Mormon Historical Studies 11, number 2 (Autumn 2010): 69–70.
- See Andrew Jenson, Research Notes, Andrew Jenson Collection, Church History Library, Salt Lake City; Benjamin F. Johnson to Gibbs, 1903, Benjamin F. Johnson Papers, Church History Library, Salt Lake City; “Autobiography of Levi Ward Hancock, ” Church History Library, Salt Lake City.
- Parley P. Pratt, The Autobiography of Parley Parker Pratt, among the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, ed. Parley P. Pratt Jr. (Ny: Russell Brothers, 1874), 329.
- They certainly were the same priesthood tips Elijah had provided to Apostles anciently. (See Matthew 16:19; 17:1–9; Doctrine and Covenants 2. )
- Doctrine and Covenants 132:7; 131:2–3.
- Doctrine and Covenants 132:19–20, 63; see additionally “Becoming Like God. ”
- Stephanie Coontz, Marriage, a past history: From Obedience to Intimacy, or How Love Conquered Marriage (ny: Viking Penguin, 2005), 145–60; Lawrence rock, the household, Sex and wedding in England, 1500–1800, abridged ed. (Middlesex, UK: Penguin Books, 1985), 217–53.
- Doctrine and Covenants 132:55, 63.
- Doctrine and Covenants 132:46; Matthew 16:19.
- Joseph Smith’s training of plural wedding is talked about by Latter-day Saint authors in official, semi-official, and publications that are independent. See, as an example, Jenson, “Plural Marriage, ” 219–34; B. H. Roberts, A Comprehensive History regarding the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6 vols. (Salt Lake City: Deseret Information Press, 1930), 2:93–110, Danel W. Bachman and Ronald K. Esplin, “Plural Marriage, ” in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 4 vols. (nyc: Macmillan, 1992), 2:1091-95; and Glen M. Leonard, Nauvoo: a location of Peace, an individuals of Promise (Salt Lake City and Provo, UT: Deseret Book and Brigham Young University, 2002), 343–49.
- Brian C. Hales, Joseph Smith’s Polygamy, 3 vols. (Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books, 2013), 1:3, 2:165.
- Joseph Smith, Journal, might 19, 24, and 26, 1842; June 4, 1842, offered at josephsmithpapers.org. Proponents of “spiritual wifery” taught that intimate relations were permissible away from legalized marital relationships, on condition that the relations stayed key.
- Within the denials, “polygamy” was understood to suggest the wedding of 1 man to one or more girl but without Church sanction.
- See, as an example, “On Marriage, ” Times and periods, Oct. 1, 1842, 939–40; and Wilford Woodruff journal, Nov. 25, 1843, Church History Library, Salt Lake City; Parley P. Pratt, “This quantity Closes the very first amount of the ‘Prophet, ’” The Prophet, May 24, 1845, 2. George A. Smith explained, “Any person who will read very very carefully the denials, since they are termed, of plurality of spouses regarding the the circumstances will dsicover plainly which they denounce adultery, fornication, brutal lust plus the training of plurality of spouses by people who weren’t commanded to accomplish so” (George A. Smith page to Joseph Smith III, Oct. 9, 1869, in Journal reputation for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Oct. 9, 1869, Church History Library, Salt Lake City).